Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, February 19, 2010

    What is the Point of Educational Technology?

    My own personal definition of educational technology is this:

    Educational Technology is a modern approach to teaching and learning that utilizes technology to facilitate learning and improve performance. This is done by analyzing, designing, developing, implementing, and evaluating technological processes and resources for learning.

    Before I would even think about using technology or any other type of learning tools or manipulatives, I always think about my learning goals and objectives.  Next I think about how I can get students actively involved in their education.  I want them to take responsibility for their own learning and education and to become active learners and critical thinkers.  Then I try to determine how to best enable students to become active learners and thinkers.  What can I do to facilitate that?  I also sprinkle in reading, writing, creativity, researching, communication and collaboration.  I then evaluate tools and techniques to foster learning in this manner.  In the end, if I have technological tools that will help me to achieve my goals and objectives and that will enable students to become active learners and thinkers, then I utilize them.  Isn't that the point?  Isn't educational technology supposed to facilitate learning goals?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment