Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, February 13, 2010

    Digital Nation and School System

    I came across an interesting video from a blog that I just had to share.  One thing from the video that struck a cord with me is how the school system generally instills in students that it is bad to make a mistake and you shouldn't make mistakes. Think about all the famous people who have failed forward! Didn't it tak Thomas Edison over a thousand tries before he invented the incandescent light bulb? I have at times learned the most from mistakes I have made. While it is important to have high expectations and expect students to always do their very best, they should also know that they aren't perfect and they will make mistakes and when they do instead of having low self-esteem and feeling bad about themselves they should learn to cope and turn it into a learning experience.

    http://henryjenkins.org/2010/02/_children_and_young_people.html 



    The blog is also very interesting. I read the entry pertainig to the video. Great read!  I like the idea of knocking down the school walls and opening up the learning experience to the outside world where students communicate and collaborate. Wouldn't it be cool if students could use a school/education wiki and create their own textbooks and definitions of things they are learning where they all contribute their knowledge and ideas? In the Web 2.0 class I took last summer we were required to write a definition of a term and one person posted their definition and the rest of us had to add to it, revise it, and make it better and contribute something new. I was one of the last ones to contribute and I had to think long and hard for something new and pertinent to contribute. Some students hate reading and writing. What if students could connect with other students online via message boards, chat, blog, etc. and read and write and contribute to the discussions. They would hopefully be more interested and engaged while honing their literacy skills.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment