Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, May 18, 2010

    Video Essays

    I've taken a couple of classes where we are allowed to create video essays rather than writing a traditional paper. At first I thought it was strange but now I love creating them and viewing them. It is so much more interesting than reading a regular essay with black ink on white paper. Then I started wondering...Do other professors allow their students to do the same? Where is the role of video essays heading? Is it more popular than I thought? What are the trends in colleges today? Are many professors open to the idea of allowing video and multimedia essays? Then I found the following article. It is more about video essays rather than traditional essays as part of the admission process, but still...I like that the idea of video essays is becoming more widespread and accepted because it is more interactive and allows students to show their creativity. Another thing I wonder about is the effect this will have on writing. We all know there is one style of acceptable writing for traditional papers and another style of writing used exclusively for the web, which is traditionally shorter, more concise consisting of bullet points and lists to make it easier to skim and read. Will the traditional, paper format of writing become obsolete then? It used to be second nature to me to write a traditional paper but now I feel inhibited if I can't insert images, videos and links.

    Video Essays

    No comments:

    Post a Comment