Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, February 5, 2010

    Past Teaching Practices

    If we teach today as we taught yesterday, we rob our children of tomorrow. -John Dewey

    I have been reading about the history of instructional design.  It is very interesting to see all the different fads come and go and how many thought TV and radio and other types of "teaching machines" would revolutionize education.  While I love the idea of implementing technology in the classroom, I have to ask myself if it is truly the most effective and efficient tool.  I also have to keep in mind that in the past there were lots of fads that soon faded out.  I should be mindful of these "fads" and not get caught up in the hype.  Many times decisions made in the past that were top down rather than bottom up which also caused some resistance. 

    On the other hand, I shouldn't let myself get caught up in past practices.  After all, the past does not equal the future.  So instead of looking at the present through a rear-view mirror, I should embrace new "medium" and not use it the same as I did or would have used old "medium".  Let's not march backwards in the future but rather move ahead with conviction and a new way of thinking.  Don't be afraide of change! 

    Image courtesy of: http://www.nqpaofu.com/byehello/rearviewmirror420x280.jpg



        

    1 comment: