Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, June 19, 2009

    Wiktionary

    I just added three entries to Wiktionary which was a somewhat frustrating experience. First of all I some of the words I wanted to edit were not in there. I am thinking I should add more words and definitions to it but what is the point when you have a regular dictionary online? I guess the point is knowing that I am contributing to the web and it may help somebody. And besides, it will be cool to be able to tell people that I added content online.

    Once I decided which definitions I would edit, I got to work. I read the definitions which I thought were way too short and vague. Just know that I am a very detail-oriented person and I am quite long-winded. Brevity is just not my thing. So I crafted what I thought were sufficient definitions and then uploaded them. As it turns out, they were reverted back to the original because they were too encyclopedic (aka too long and detailed). Great! So I had to figure out how to trim those suckers down so it wouldn't be so encyclopedic. That is still a work in progress because two seconds ago I just received a message saying that two were already reverted back, again. Argh!!!

    I can't really say that I am 100% proud but at least I completed it with a little more detail than the previous definitions although they sounded fine. Hopefully mine are better but I guess Wiktionary doesn't think so.

    In any case, here is what I submitted:

    Blog - This one reverted once but after I shortened the definition it was fine.

    Meta Tag - I wanted the term Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to be included in the definition so I added the term and definition. I didn't write it I just copied it from the entry SEO.

    SMS - Now I tried to edit this little bugaboo several times and they just don't like my definitions.

    In case you are dying to see my user profile, here it is: My Wiktionary Profile

    No comments:

    Post a Comment