Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, June 26, 2009

    Wikimedia Reviews

    Wikipedia Quotes
    I have always loved reading different kinds of quotes and finding ones that applied to my life. So once I found Wikipedia Quotes, I was thrilled. It contains quotes in different languages, countries, and from lots of different sources such as:
    • People
    • Literary Works
    • Films
    • TV Shows
    Quotes are also categorized by theme.

    When you enter the homepage there is a quote of the day. Today’s quote is from Michael Jackson.

    This site also contains proverbs. The proverbs are categorized by country/region from where they came. You will find a proverb, its English translation if applicable, and what it means.

    I found that I could stay on the site for hours just looking up quote after quote after quote. Not only that, but once you read a quote, often times there is a link so you can find out more about you said the quote. I thought that was a nice touch, especially when I read a really interesting quote but have no idea who the person is who quoted it. Even more, you can read the discussions on the quotes and add to the discussions as well.

    I also found the search feature to be helpful. Overall, I will be returning here quite often as I am looking for quotes.

    Wikimedia Commons
    I also enjoyed Wikimedia Commons. There are many images, audio files, videos, etc. You can find media for just about anything imaginable and then some! When you first log on there is an image and media of the day.

    One thing that did make it confusing is that there is so much information and it is so hard to keep it all organized that I felt like I was clicking through a maze. I loved looking at all the photos. There are older ones as well as newer ones. I also enjoyed looking at the art. I felt like I went back in time and was looking at photos from a museum.

    There were many videos you could look at. I like how they are categorized so you can find what you are looking for. For example, if I am looking for videos on Spain, I could type in Spain in the search box or I can look under countries or societies. You can even download some of the videos onto your computer without a problem.

    I also loved exploring and listening to the sound files. I am always looking for new sounds to incorporate in a second language classroom so this is a perfect place for find interesting sounds.
    For a newbie who is just getting started with uploading and sharing media, this is a perfect place to begin because it tells you what to do, how to do it, it explains the best formats, the different licensing and copyright information, and other pertinent information that one would need to know.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment